What Is A Custom Orthotic?
A custom orthotic is a device designed to align the foot and ankle into the most anatomically efficient position. They look like insoles, but that is where the similarities end. Custom orthotics are biomechanical medical appliances that are custom made to correct your specific foot imbalance. They are individually fabricated over a three dimensional model of your foot. Custom orthotics work on your feet much like glasses work on your eyes – they reduce stress and strain on your body by bringing your feet back into proper alignment. The plastic body of the custom orthotic helps to re-align the foot by redirecting and reducing certain motion that takes place during the gait cycle. Most often custom orthotics will fit comfortably into your shoes. Occasionally, a slightly larger shoe might be required.
Who Needs Custom Orthotics?
Custom foot orthotics can help relieve the pain and fatigue associated with improper biomechanics throughout the body. In order to walk, stand or play, pain-free, the body requires a stable foundation provided by your feet. When there are problems with the foundation, often the symptoms are found both in your feet and throughout the rest of the muscular skeletal structure.
The ScanCast 3D system allows Dr. Hahn to accurately capture full volumetric data in less than five seconds. ScanCast 3D data faithfully captures all of the plantar shape data from the bottom of the foot and up to 8 inches up the back of the leg.
- Designed to allow Dr. Hahn to properly position the patient’s foot in subtalar neutral position
- Creates a 3D color image of the patient’s foot, derived from properly plotted coordinate points in less than seven seconds
- Allows Dr. Hahn to obverse the 3D images from multiple views and observe the forefoot to rearfoot positioning
- Rapid web based uploading of patient prescriptions and scan data for laboratory processing
- Can be used in off weight-bearing, semi weight-bearing or full weight-bearing positions