What is an ingrown toenail?
- An ingrown toenail is a common condition in which the corner or side of a toenail grows into the skin. It can cause pain, redness, swelling, and sometimes, an infection.
- The main cause of ingrown toenail is wearing ill-fitting footwear, including shoes with inadequate toe-box and tight stockings that apply top or side pressure. Other causes include trauma to the nail plate or toe, cutting nail too short, and genetics.
- Redness, swelling and pain
- Pain along side of toenail border
What a podiatrist can do for you?
- Surgical procedure to permanently prevent ingrown toenail from growing
- Partial resection of ingrown toenail
- Prescribe oral antibiotics if infection presents