What is a Toenail fungus?
- Toenail fungus is an infection that gets in through cracks in your nail or cuts in your skin. It can make your toenail discolored, become thickened, and sometimes painful. Different kinds of fungi and sometimes yeast affect different parts of the nail. Left untreated, an infection could spread to other toenails, skin, or even your fingernails.
- Fungi thrive in dark, hot, warm, and moist environments. Because feet are often warm and damp confined inside the shoes or boots all day long, fungus grows well there. Wearing tight, non-breathing footwear allows the fungi to flourish and cause athlete’s foot and/or toenail fungus. The fungal organisms easily spread from one person to another in moist places where people walk barefoot, such as gym locker rooms and swimming pools.
- Brittle, discolored, thickened toenails
- Debris under the toenail
What a podiatrist can do for you?
- Prescribed topical or oral antifungal medications
- Routine toenail and foot care